Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Healthful Eats: Fruit, Granola, and Yogurt

Yes, I identify myself a lot of ways, but here's one thing you should know about me right now, before we proceed any further: above all, I am an English/writing/grammar nut, and that title comes with a lot of pet peeves. One of those pet peeves is when people use "healthy" when they SHOULD be using "healthful."

Here's a little trick:

  • If something helps you become HEALTHY, then that food is HEALTHFUL
  • YOU are HEALTHY (or maybe unhealthy)
  • The food you eat and the exercise you do are HEALTHFUL or unhealthful, again, depending on what kind of lifestyle you are living
Glad to get that off my chest. Now, let's get on with the first post of my new segment, healthful eats! I'm all about eating things that are good for your body but that are relatively inexpensive and relatively easy. Can I get an amen?

Lately, I have been trying to mix up my usual daily meal fall-backs with some easy-to-do alternatives (as I have been reading that variety is a key to staying healthy and getting key nutrients), and I loved this one yesterday.

Here's what I had yesterday for breakfast:


Fruit, Yogurt and Granola

Ingredients:
Stonyfield Organic, low-fat yogurt (I used BaNilla flavor)
Sliced fresh strawberries (blueberries, raspberries, banana, etc can be substituted depending on what's in season where you live)
GetBalance Crunch cereal (an ALDI knock-off of Kashi GoLean Crunch)

This is such an easy, yummy, healthful breakfast, and I made it in probably thirty seconds longer than it takes me to just pour a bowl of cereal (my old fall-back). I also drank water with it, as that is one of my recent goals -- drinking LOTS of water.

Health benefits: Yogurt is a great source of calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, and protein. Strawberries are a great source of Vitamin C, antioxidants, and dietary fiber. The cereal I selected is high in protein, dietary fiber, and whole grains.


What did you have for breakfast today?

Aimez la terre!
Constance Marie